I’m thrilled your book club is considering Past Presence as one of your monthly picks. Here are some questions I’ve put together to further the discussion.
I would love to join the conversation and chat with you about your thoughts! I’m available to meet with book clubs in person in Southern Alberta, or via Skype/Facetime everywhere else. If you’re interested in having me speak to your group, please email me at nicole (at) nicolebross (dot) com.
- Do you think Past Presence is more character-driven or plot-based?
- One of the major themes of the book is that of family. Do you think Audrey’s definition of family changes as she settles in to life in Soberly? Why and how?
- Did you think the way the relationships in Past Presence evolved was realistic? Why or why not?
- What did you think about Audrey’s ability to see people’s past lives? Do you think this talent was critical to the story, or would things have turned out pretty much the same without it?
- Do you agree with Audrey’s reluctance to tell others about her ability? What would you choose to do, if it was you?
- If you could see people’s past lives, how would you use that ability? How do you think it would affect your life?
- Past Presence is set in the fictional town of Soberly, Oregon. Do you prefer books with fictional settings, or do you enjoy reading about real places? How come?
- Did you notice any parallels between the characters and events of present-day Soberly with the characters and events in the Russian village as told through Audrey’s visions of people’s past lives? What were they? Did they help you deepen your understanding of the characters and their motivations?
- What did you think about the ending? Do you think it wrapped up the story satisfactorily or was there something you feel was unresolved?
- Did Past Presence make you think differently or change your opinion about anything? If so, what?